Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Taylored Expressions June Studio Challenge

 
It's time for the Baker's Dozen Studio Challenge.  This is a monthly opportunity for the Taylored Expressions team to share what makes our stamping studios hum.  Each month we  have a fun, crafty question so we can share our favorites, some tips and tricks, stamping advice and more.


The question for June is:
What's on your summer reading list?  Are you a big reader or not?  If you are, what books have you read lately that you would recommend?  Do you have a favorite author or genre? How about something for sitting out by the pool, or the beach, or even just the backyard...some nice light summer reading? Do you use fancy bookmarks or do you dog-ear your pages?  Or, do you use an e-reader? Everyone can use bookmarks and they make great favors and gifts.  Let's see a little inspiration!

I DO love to read, but unfortunately, having four busy, young kids makes it very hard to actually sit and read for any amount of time!  LOL  When I do get a chance to read, I usually go for some light reading.  I LOVE anything Nicholas Sparks!  There are so many of his books that I haven't read and have on my reading list, but I just haven't gotten to them.  As much as I LOVE the e-reader idea of having all of these books in a little electronic package, I think I'm a good old fashioned "feel the pages" kind of girl.  :)  I like physically turning the pages and using bookmarks.  There's something satisfying about closing the book with the bookmark inside and actually seeing my progress!  I know, it's the little things, right?  HA!!


I love all kinds of bookmarks, but my favorites are magnetic ones.  I just LOVE that they "hug" the page and don't easily slip out when the book is picked up or "looked through" by one of my kids.  Since I haven't done much reading myself this summer, I decided to create bookmarks for my kids.  Savannah and Arwen love to read and read a lot.  Isaac will be in Kindergarten this coming Fall, so I'll save that third one for then.  ;)  And Isabelle, I'll make her one when she starts reading in about a year!  :)   


I used a sentiment from the Garden Party Blooms set and the images are from the Garden Party Critters. I just LOVE that caterpillar image!  :)  The bee is pretty cute too!  The papers are from the I Heart Summer Collection from Simple Stories.  To create the actual bookmark, I used the Banner Stacklets 2.  I used the largest die from Banner Stacklets 2 and folded it in half, so the four corners met. . .and that little tab became a spot where you can "pull" the bookmark open.  I used the Grass Border Die to create the grass in the scene.  I attached magnetic strip inside the bookmark.  When you're ready to mark your spot, just close it over the page!





These magnetic bookmarks are so super easy to create. . .especially with the Banner Stacklets 2!!  I hope you'll find some time to create yourself a bookmark or two!  Be sure to see what kind of bookmarks the rest of the Baker's Dozen have come up with!!

Carole Burrage
Charmaine Ikach
Jen Shults
Joan Ervin
Kerri Michaud
Sankari Wegman
Shannon White
Shelly Mercado
Stephanie Kraft
Tammie Edgerton
Taylor VanBruggen
Wanda Guess

SUPPLIES USED: 
 

  


     
   

   


 



9 comments:

Kerri said...

These are adorable, and I love the idea with the magnets! I've never made any like that before and will definitely have to give it a try!

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

TOTALLY cute! What a neat idea to fold them over with the magnets - love it! Fabulous project!!

Tammie Edgerton said...

These are stinkin' cute little bookmarks, Charmaine...your little kiddos will love them for sure!

Joan Ervin said...

Oooooh, how cute....The little critter is absolutely adorable and I just love the magnet idea. I don't know how mant times I have dropped a book and the bookmark, too!! It's such a pain to find my place again!!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

What a great idea to make these with the Banner Stacklets 2 dies, Shortcake! Love these and that cute little inchworm - going to have to add that set to my list! Hope you're having a sweet summer, friend!

Unknown said...

Such sweet bookmarks, Charmaine! LOVE the magnetic closure idea... your kids will no doubt love using these!

Shannon White said...

Awww, these are soo CUTE Charmaine!! I Love the magnetic bookmarks too! ( my current fav!) I can't even tell you how many times I've lost my place with other bookmarks that fell out, lol ;-) Your Kids are going to Love these for sure! And I am keeping my fingers crossed you will get to find some time to get lost in a book or two this summer! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Shelly said...

I hear you about having 4 kids and not having much time! I haven't thought about magnetic bookmarks before, how awesome is this! Your bookmarks are adorable & they are perfect for kids!

Cynthia Clark said...

I am SOOOO excited to check out all these bookmarks. I'm always looking for bookmark ideas. LOVE to read and will, more often than not, have several books going at once. I'm a 'hands on pages' girl too. The e-readers sort of make me sad. If it doesn't feel or smell like a book, it isn't a book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails