Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Taylored Expressions April Studio Challenge






It's time for the Baker's Dozen Studio Challenge.  This is a monthly opportunity for the Taylored Expressions team to share what makes our stamping studios hum.  Each month we  have a fun, crafty question so we can share our favorites, some tips and tricks, stamping advice and more.


The theme for April is:
Mix & Match!  TE stamp sets are designed with plenty of images and sentiments so they are "self-contained" for lots of creativity, but sometimes it's fun to mix and match several different sets for even more possibilities.
Your challenge is to create a project using three or more TE stamp sets.
 When I first read the theme for this month, I panicked a little. . .only because I usually stick to using one stamp set for most of my creations.  About the only thing I'll mix and match is a sentiment from one set with an image from another set.  So, when I set out to look through my TE stamps and figure out which 3 or more sets I was going to use, I thought a background was a good place to start.  I just LOVE the Cloudy Days Background stamp and haven't used it in a long while, so I started with that.  Once I had my background, that pretty much dictated the "style" I needed to look for in the other stamps.  I thought fun and cute was the theme.

My next selection was the Beach Bum set.  This is an old favorite of mine.  I thought the sandcastle image would be perfect with the cloud background.  Next in my selection was the sentiment.  I chose the Beach a la Carte.  It was a nice, big and bold sentiment that I thought complimented the scene very well.  I just had to alter it a little.  The palm tree is actually on the right side when stamped.  I omitted it, then stamped it separately and cut it out and adhered it to the left side to work with my layout.  The sentiment was die cut using the Banner Stacklets 1.  Just because I wanted to add a little more to the scene, I went ahead and chose a 4th stamp set.  The mussel and fish are from the Under the Sea set.  I stamped them each, colored them with Copic markers and added them to the scene with foam tape.  

So, when I started the card, I decided on fun and cute since that's what the background was.  Once I selected the Beach Bum set, the rest of my card was dictated by a "beach theme".  That made selecting the rest of the sets much simpler.  Give it a try!  It's not as hard as you think!  ;)  I'm excited to see what the rest of the Baker's Dozen used for their creations!!
    Broni Holcombe
    Carole Burrage

    Jen Shults
    Kerri Mchaud
    Lynnette Kauffman
    Sankari Wegman
    Shannon White
    Shelly Mercado
    Stephanie Kraft
    Tammie Edgerton
    Taylor VanBruggen
    Wanda Guess
       SUPPLIES USED:  








      7 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      Hi Charmaine! This is so clever and fun! That little fishy jumping out of the water is so cute!! Great idea to use the Word ALC that way! Great card. :-)

      Unknown said...

      Super sweet and cute, Charmaine! Love this fun beach scene!

      Davi said...

      SOOO cute, love the little beach scene and the big banner at the top! Very fun :)

      Shelly said...

      Adorable card, Charmaine! The Cuppie is so CUTE and I love the beach scene! Hope you're having a great week!

      Sankari W. said...

      Ohhhhhh sooooooo cuteeeee!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this scene with sweet Cuppie building a castle and the darling fishy jumping out - simply beyond cute cute cute!!! Love it !!!

      Audrey Pettit said...

      OMGoodness, what a creative and absolutely adorable card, Charmaine! Your little beach scene is brilliant! Love the cloudy background, and love the pairing up cuppie with his beach buddies. I would never have thought of using those together! :)
      Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment today!

      Broni said...

      This is definitely a fun card, Charmaine! I love everything about how cute and summery it is! Thanks so much for allowing me to play along with you gals! It was so much fun!

      LinkWithin

      Related Posts with Thumbnails