Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Welcome, Baby!




This past Saturday I went to a baby shower. I usually like to give moms-to-be a few things from their registry, diapers and something handmade. I don't always, however, get around to making the handmade item. Most often, all I get to is the handmade card that accompanies the gift. This time, I was determined to make a box (that was featured in the last issue of Papercrafts Magazine) and a card set to go inside. This is what I came up with. The card itself is a baby announcement. Inside I attached a black piece of cardstock which I punched with the slit punch on top and bottom in order to fit a picture. Beside the black piece of cardstock I stamped the "info" stamp. . . with place for the baby's name, length, weight, etc. You can't really see the slit punch tabs in the second picture. For the front of the card, I saw these CUTE cards in the Current catalog (as in where you can order checks, etc), and there were simple cards in it that added a tiny colored vellum envelope on top of the main image. Of course, the tiny envelope had a tiny message coming out! They were so cute, so that's where I got this idea. I didn't have any colored vellum, though, so I rubbed my Stampin Pastels on the inside of plain translucent vellum to get my colored vellum! It worked surprisingly well! The whole idea worked very well with the cute, cuddly bear from this set, though, don't you think? I'm not so sure I'm crazy about coloring him and the shadowing in with pastels. I'm thinking I should have used ink pads and an Aquapainter. The "bear button" on the box was colored with an Aquapainter and I think I like that one more. Anyway, I used my craft knife to cut a slit in the right edge of the bear's head so that I could tuck the envelope and letter behind him without having to cut out the whole bear. Finally, I used my slit punch to make the Saffron scalloped piece across the top of the card. The ribbon I found at Michael's on one of those wooden spools. As for the box, I just stamped the star/moon background piece from the set randomly on the Certainly Celery cardstock. I assembled the top and bottom of the box, put it together and wrapped a ribbon around it. I think my friend liked the set, but I had to leave the shower before she got to my gift. I would like to receive a set like this! :)
SUPPLIES USED: Stamps- SU Bundle of Joy; Ink- Basic Black, Certainly Celery; CS- SU Certainly Celery, So Saffron, Vellum, DCWV white, black; Accessories- Stampin Pastels, slit punch, ribbon from Michael's and Joann, circle punches, Chocolate Chip marker, craft knife

2 comments:

Jami Speidel said...

This is such a cute idea!!! I wish I would have thought of it last month when I went to a baby shower:) You're work is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

WOW--this is a perfectly darling gift ensemble! I may have to break down soon and buy this set. . . My baby sister is expecting! Great job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails