Friday, October 16, 2009

Center of Attention Product Spotlight - Stencils & Maya Mist

Today, members of the Baker's Dozen are featuring Crafter's Workshop Stencils and Maya Mist, available at Taylored Expressions! I can honestly say when Taylor told us about the stencils, I was wondering WHAT I was going to do with one. I haven't worked much with stencils and I never really had an interest. Now that I've played with this one, I am hooked! I chose the Daisy Cluster Template. There are still more things I want to try with these stencils, but I'm going to share 3 things with you today!
The first thing I tried was using the stencil and the Maya Mist together. I chose the Iridescent Pearl Maya Mist. I thought it would be a nice, neutral shade. It gives white or cream cardstock a shimmery look, which is beautiful! I found, as demonstrated on this first card, that it is stunning on dark cardstock! It really makes plain, dark cardstock look like a shimmery patterned cardstock. . .such a neat effect! I used the Trick or Sweet II set for this fairy card. I cut the piece of black cardstock, set the stencil over top of it (on scrap paper, of course) and sprayed the Iridescent Pearl Maya Mist over it. It adds such a nice extra (and sparkly) touch to any card!


The second thing I HAD to try with my stencil was embossing! As you know if you visit me regularly, my favorite kind of card is clean and simple. . .and embossed! :) I made a Cuttlebug sandwich with my stencil, just like I would if I were embossing with a Nestabilities die or Cuttlebug embossing folder, except I had to add a few pieces of cardstock to act as a shim since the stencils are so thin. On this card, I cut a 3" square piece of white cardstock, sprayed it with the Maya Mist and then ran it through the Cuttlebug. TIP: Spray the piece BEFORE putting it through the Cuttlebug and it will help to deepen the embossed impression since the paper will be a little wet. I attached the 3" square piece to the center of a plain white card base (4.25" square) and I DID NOT spray the card base with Maya Mist. I wanted the 3" embossed square to stand out more by being sparkly. I stamped a sentiment from the Faith and Hope set, cut and embossed it with a Ribbon Tags Trio Nestabilities die and tied black organdy ribbon around the ends and attached it to the card. This card reminds me a bit of our wedding thank yous from 9 years ago! I'm so excited to know that now I can make my own version! LOL I took a picture using a black background as well since I thought it was hard to see everything white on white!

The last thing that I tried with my stencil was inspired by wishing that I had darker colors of Maya Mist instead of just a neutral. So, I got out my Acrylic Paint Dauber in Lemonade! I masked the top and bottom end of my card base and placed my stencil on top of the non-masked section and tapped my paint dauber over the stencil. Once I let it dry, I embossed borders on either side of the "color" using a border embossing folder from the With Love Cuttlebug set. Lastly, I added a sentiment from the Sweet Celebration set. I just LOVE this card because not only is it a one layer, embossed card, but the paint adds such a neat texture and look to the card as well! Pairing that with the stencil really makes for a great effect!

So, now do you see why I'm hooked? The stencil is very easy to clean! Just soap and water! You'll want to be careful about "rubbing" it. I found that with my pattern, some of the flower edges would bend a little if I rubbed too hard, so dabbing is best! I can't wait to see what the other members of the Baker's Dozen came up with using these products!

For a limited time (October 16-17) Taylor will be offering a 15% discount on all Crafter's Workshop stencils and Maya Mist, so head on over and check them out!

16 comments:

Donna Baker said...

WOW! fantastic ways to use the stencil, didn't even think about using it for the cb - awesome! all your cards are SUPERB!!

Taylor said...

Oh my goodness! You did it all! I love all of your cards, but I'm most excited to see that the light colored mist goes so beautifully over dark cardstock. Don't these stencils just make you want to keep playing!?

Beate said...

Charmaine, your cards are beautiful. You so have me sold on NEEDING stencils and that mist.

Hugs

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Oh my girl!! Love what you've done with these stencils!! So creative and gorgeous!!

Sankari W. said...

get out with the cuteness charmaine!!! you SO rock!!! LOVE each one of them - and how different the looks are of all your cards! Each more gorgeous than the next!!! you rock!!!
big hugs,
sankari

Jami said...

All of your cards are so beautiful! I especially love the white on white with the embossed image - so classy! Now I want that stencil...I should have ordered more of them to begin with - LOL!

Karen Giron said...

Oh wow!! I really love the white card embossed!! What a great idea for wedding cards - and the white mist on black is gorgeous!! Great cards - they are absolutely beautiful!

Sharon Harnist said...

I'm glad to know a different setup and cardstock allowed a good emboss, Charmaine -- I couldn't get my Wizard setup to emboss Prism cardstock. Will have to try what you did! Love the pearl mist on the black cardstock -- wonderful cards!

Danni said...

These are so gorgeous and such a neat technique.

Jessica Diedrich said...

Oh these are both AWESOME! That little ballerina is my fave! The mist is really cool w/ the stencils-great spotlight!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

OMG!! Charmaine, these are so fabulous! Would never have thought to emboss with them, and the result is fabulous! Love both your cards and the techniques you uses! WOW! Makes me want to play some more!

Dawn Easton said...

Oh wow, Charmaine! Love the different looks you get from that stencil! I don't think I'd have thought to emboss with it! FAB idea!

Jodi Collins said...

Truly and totally FLIPPIN' FANTASTIC Charmaine! I love each of these, but that first card really ROCKS my world! AMAZING cards my friend!

Michele Kovack said...

Love how these look! I have a few of the stencils and now want to play!

Ellek said...

Hi Love the uses you came up with for the stensil! Esp. the embossed. Ellek

Anonymous said...

Didn't we get some of this on the cruise, more things I never use!! LOL Your cards rock no matter what girl! How are the kids???? Super cute as usual!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails