Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Merry Mass Production with Taylored Expressions

Have you started on your Christmas cards yet? Need some inspiration for cards that can be mass produced rather quickly? You're in luck! Today, members of the Baker's Dozen are sharing their ideas for mass producing Christmas cards. . .and Taylor has a challenge for all of you that you'll want to check out on her blog!

Everyone has their own ideas for mass producing cards. For me, easy mass production means NO COLORING! LOL I find that if I have to color 50+ cards, I get frustrated around card #25 and the coloring on the first 25 is much nicer than the coloring on the last. Anyone else feel that way? The card I have to share with you today requires no coloring. There is some Cuttlebug embossing, but I've made that a little simpler too. I know the thought of making your Cuttlebug sandwich 50+ times might be a little frustrating, so I've streamlined that a bit. This first picture shows you all the pieces for my set of 6 cards. This picture includes:

-6 Circles punched using the Mega Circle Punch by Marvy Uchida
-6 Scallop Circles punched using the Giga Scallop Circle Punch by Marvy Uchida
-6 pieces of ribbon to fit around the cards
-6 4"x2 5/8" pieces of Cuttlebugged cardstock
-6 A2 size card bases

Next, I'll walk you through my "mass production process". I cut and embossed all my pieces first, then stamped, then assembled:

Cutting/Punching

1. Take 3 pieces of 8.5"x11" white cardstock, cut at 4.25" along the 8.5" side and fold in half to create 6 card bases.
2. Punch 6 circles out of white cardstock using the Mega Circle punch by Marvy Uchida (pink).
3. Punch 6 scallop circles out of black cardstock using the Giga Scallop Circle punch by Marvy Uchida (purple).
4. Cut 3 pieces of 4"x5.25" red cardstock and emboss using the Birds and Swirls Cuttlebug folder. Now cut these pieces in half. . .cut at 2 5/8" along the 5.25" side.
5. Cut 6 pieces of ribbon approx. 14" in length.

Stamping

1. Stamp bird from the Christmas Blessings set in red ink on the 6 white punched circles.
2. Stamp sentiment from the Christmas Blessings set in black ink on the 6 white punched circles.

Assembly

1. Adhere the white stamped circles to the black scalloped circles.
2. Adhere the red Cuttlebugged pieces to the card bases.
3. Tie ribbon around cards.
4. Adhere the scallop circle pieces to the card base using foam dimensionals.

This process went rather quickly for me. Once I decided on my design and had all of the supplies I needed in front of me, the actual cutting/punching/embossing/assembly of these 6 cards took me 15 minutes! Honestly, I timed myself! :) So, how does 15 minutes per 6 cards sound? That's 24 cards an hour! You could finish your Christmas cards in an afternoon! Some of you may be thinking "I'm not a fast stamper. . .I can't do that in 15 minutes!" I'll admit, I have to be on the fast side or I would never get anything done since my day is full of interruptions! LOL I can assure you, though, this card design and process will go quickly for you whether or not you're a fast stamper! You can always exclude the embossing to make your set even quicker! ;)

I hope you've been inspired today to not only get a start on your Christmas cards, but to make mass producing an enjoyable experience rather than one you don't look forward to! Be sure to visit the other members of the Baker's Dozen for their Merry Mass Production ideas!

11 comments:

Donna Baker said...

they came out beautifully! I so am going to CASE these so I can add to my stash of cards I sell. I LOVE it

Sharon Harnist said...

Wonderfully easy but beautiful, Charmaine -- love the color combo! You have me rethinking my coloring now, LOL! Great tip about getting two uses out of one embossed piece of cardstock -- a real timesaver!

Jami said...

These cards are the epitome of simple elegance! Love them and like Donna I may need to CASE these to add some to my stash too! Great instructions!

Jodi Collins said...

These are DELIGHTFUL Charmaine!!! SO gorgeous and I LOVE how they don't look mass produced! AWESOME my friend!!

Unknown said...

Simply beautiful, Charmaine!

Karen Motz said...

Fabulously elegant cards Charmaine! I love how quick and easy they are with no colouring.

Jackie Pedro said...

Wonderful cards, Charmaine! You have mad mass assembly skills!! LOL!

Denise Marzec said...

Beautiful, Charmaine!

Sankari W. said...

Seriously Charmaine - how do you do it??? What is your secret??? You just turn out so many amazing masterpieces with all the things that you do... and I am just in awe of you!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way you did this mass production and totally want to try this out - it looks so stunning and awesome!!!
And you are awesome!!!! Seriously stunned over here!
Big Hugs!
Sankari :)

Danni said...

Wonderful cards!!

Dawn Easton said...

Charmaine, these are gorgeous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails